Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Life is a Zoo!


The ZOO!
On Sunday we went to the Toledo Zoo, overall not a bad place but I definitely had some observations. The Zoo is much like any state fair, the people watching is out of control. I've got them down to 3ish worth sharing.

1. The rules of fashion and decorum drop one degree for every degree over 75. Which brings up all my fashion stuff- note these fashion issues are mine, they make me uncomfortable. I am judging how these fashion items make me feel not the person wearing the offending item.
The tightness/ shortness of shorts- At some point, I turned to T-Rex and said, "If you your shorts make me think about anti fungal creme, they might be too short". As normal, he ignored me, so I assumed, I am correct.
Shoes... no flip flops are not shoes. So many people wear them for a 2-4 mile walk REALLY?? I have never been a fan of fashion over fuction so flips flops at the Zoo made me sad for people.
There was of course halter and tube tops dresses with BRA's... overall you know how I feel about the tube top but the bra adds a new element. Why?? if you need one, then you should not being wearing the other. PS you need to be within 100 feet of swimming water/ beach/ sand to justify wearing swim wear as out wear.
And those are the most persist offenders.

2. The Zoo's interpretation of AFRICA. It was like they got the Ikea version of a Zoo Exhibit- easy to put together and will fit in this much cubic space. I kinda wanna send the Zoo letter highlighting these points:
A.Africa is a huge place with several ecological systems and animal habitats; placing animals in vast grassland does not make it "Africa", it makes it one of the many animal habitats of Africa. If your goal is to educate, you might want to reign that in a little.
B. Toward the entrance, their is a sign that reads: *&^^%% means Hello in African. Umm I can not even google the number of languages and dialects that are spoken in Africa, the posting of this sign is well just ignorant and lazy.
C. When you enter the exhibit area you find the following fee based items: two food stands, a train which takes people into the grassland habitat, a caricature drawings station, a African exhibit gift store and African animal carousel- before you get to the FREE viewing savanna overlooking the animals (Giraffes, Zebras,a bush deer and some African birds). If Africa is your tourist money trap- and I am sure that it is- class it up, at least try to hide it, don't seem so grabby and hand all deep in my pocket.

3. And my final observation...
Being pregnant, I was walking behind Matthias and Abijah for most of your journey. It was interesting to watch people passing in the opposite direction puzzle over T-Rex's gender. And in the end, the question that came to me over and over (and not for the first time) is/was simple:
So what if you knew T-Rex's gender- what is the value add to your life? What does not knowing take away for you?
Watching this play out so many times in our 6 plus years relationship has really taught me a lot about the human desire to KNOW, to arrive at an answer, to hold it even for mere seconds no matter how false; the human need to grasp RIGHTNESS is amazing (think FOXNEWS anchors, staff and avid viewers.)

This human reality reminds of a pinkie toe, it is not pretty and seeming useless but if it is gone we are aware of it with each attempted step.

Your thoughts are welcome.

How is this for a closing:

I do not think I am saying anything new, I just happen to be figuring out that I want to say it too! QP 2010

3 comments:

  1. Quiana, I am impressed and thoughtful after reading the entry. Thanks...and love to you all. Jerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. This and many other reasons are why I love you Jerri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of our cousins asked why, in this modern (and hopefully, progressive)age, do we need gender at all?
    The various responses from family members pointed at our need to "know." How do we address the person, as ma'am or sir? How do we refer to them, as he or she? It wasn't about how the subject identifies, but how we identify them as he/she/ze.
    Heavy stuff to ponder, especially if you don't really have a window into gender being fluid.
    And I'm with you on the flip flops and tube tops.

    ReplyDelete